Finance and Giving

Finance and Giving

As members of St Paul’s United Methodist Church, our commitment is to

Praise God through worship, Grow as disciples through study, Share our faith through testimony, and Serve others through ministry. Part of this commitment is to share our time, talents, and treasures to further the work and missions of the Church. People may wish to give of themselves to St Paul’s by volunteering their time for the various services and projects of the Church.  They may also share their talents by performing certain skilled tasks for the Church for a reduced fee or on a pro bono basis. In addition, people may wish to contribute part of their treasures.

In contemplating various mechanisms by which one could contribute part of their treasures, this Planned Giving website is meant to offer ideas to people, but is not intended to substitute as tax advice or legal advice.  We urge anyone who is interested in pursuing one or more of these strategies to consult with the Church in addition to their tax advisor and / or estate planning attorney.  Specifically, the Finance Committee has asked that you refer any inquiries, or if you would like to discuss any of these options in further detail, to Peter Buckley, Finance Chairperson, or e-mail  Rest assured that any inquiries will be treated with tact and confidentiality.  As with anything of this nature, consult your estate planning attorney and / or tax advisor.

As you will see, there are a number of different mechanisms that one can use – some involve larger sums than others. Some are irrevocable transfers of wealth away from the donor, while others provide for the retention of an income interest to the contributor and may even provide a higher level of income and possible tax benefits as well.

We invite you to explore the different ideas we offer herein and see if any may be suitable for your gifting objectives and if any may be of benefit to your unique financial situation.

Disclaimer– When contemplating such gifts, you will want to consult your tax advisor and estate planner.  This information is not intended to be tax advice nor estate planning advice.  In addition, if your total deduction for all non-cash contributions for the year is more than $500, you must complete and attach IRS Form 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions, to your individual income tax return.